Increase your risk of white bean consumption, or legumes in general, and lower your risk for type 2 diabetes, according to the Shanghi Women’s Study.
In brief, 64,227 women without diabetes were followed for about 5 years. During this time period, their amount of legume intake was recorded. With all other risk factors considered, those who ate more beans had a lower risk for developing type 2 diabetes! Further, the risk was inversely proportional to the amount of beans consumed.
Evidence enough for me to increase my bean intake 😉
With that being said, I wanted to share this Exercise Menu Healthy Slant White Bean and Rice recipe with you. Unfortunately, many recipes add too many unhealthy things to a traditional healthy meal — so this recipe’s healthy slant is basically showing you how to cook White Beans and Brown Rice as healthy as possible.
Check it out. By the way, this is one of the cheapest recipes ever…
Easy White Beans and Brown Rice
Grocery List for 8 Servings:
- One Pack of White (Lima) Beams – $2 (2 boxes)
- Guidry’s Creole Seasoning (1 jar of pre-chopped onions and celery) – $4
- Chicken Sausage (1 pound) – $3
- Fresh Deli-Cut Ham in Cubes – (1/4 pound) $2
- Tony Chachere – 3 Tablespoons
- Garlic Powder – 3 Tablespoons
- Rinse your white beans.
- Place your white beans in a pot and cover with 10 cups of water.
- Add Tony Chachere and garlic powder.
- Cook over high heat until the water boils, and then lower the temperature to low-medium heat.
- Cook your brown rice as directed.
- Cut up the sausage into quarter-inch slices.
- Cook over medium-high heat until well-done.
- Put cook sausage in the bean pot.
- Brown ham cubes in the same pan.
- Place ham in the bean pot.
- Sautee’ creole seasoning until brown.
- Place seasoning in the bean pot.
- Continue cooking until beans are soft, which should be 2-3 hours. Be sure to stir your pot frequently.
- Adjust seasoning to taste. You may need to occasionally add water. Add more water for a lighter, soupier consistency.
- Serve over brown rice!
This is a dish that was made for healthy humans to consume! Taste the freshness of this pasta and you will never turn back!