This is one of my most exciting, healthy dishes to make. I’m from New Orleans. I love shrimp, and shrimp cocktail even better. Combine this excellent combination with kale and a few other healthy vegetables and stuff it in a whole-wheat pita…
Let’s not imagine any more and get to making this!
Shrimp Cocktail and Kale Stuffed Pita
Grocery List for 8 Servings:
- Large Shrimp (Peeled and De-veined) – $7 (1 pound )
- Kale – $2 (1 bushel)
- Yellow Onion – $1 (1)
- Sun-dried Tomatoes – $5 (1/2 jar)
- Multi-Grain Pita Bread – $3 (4 pitas)
- Organic Ketchup – $2 (1/2 cup)
- Horseradish Sauce – $2 (1/2 jar)
- Lemon – $1 (1)
- Olive Oil
- Old Bay Seasoning or similar seafood seasoning
- Black Pepper
- Granulated Garlic Powder
Prepare The Cocktail Sauce
- Squeeze 1/2 cup of ketchup into a bowl.
- Add 2 Tbsp Horseradish Sauce and mix. Add more if desired.
- Squeeze lemon and add juice to bowl.
- Mix and place in the refrigerator.
Prepare Shrimp, Kale and Pita
- Coat a pan with olive oil over medium heat.
- Sautee’ shrimp until well-cooked.
- Season shrimp with Old Bay Seasoning to taste
- Set shrimp aside
- Re-coat pan with olive oil and keep heat on medium.
- Rinse bushel of kale, chop and place in pan
- Sautee’ Kale until tender (8-10 minutes). Turn frequently.
- Remove Kale and set aside
- Re-coat pan with olive oil and keep heat on medium
- Sautee’ chopped onion until light brown.
- Remove pan from heat and add kale to onions and set aside.
- Lightly season with black pepper and garlic powder, and then cover.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place pita bread in oven and warm for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove pita from oven.
Place vegetables and sun-dried tomatoes on pita bread. Add 3-5 shrimp to top vegetables. Cover with cocktail sauce to taste.